Pages

Friday, December 7, 2012

Beanie Baby Hell

When Andy was about 2 years old, Beanie Babies were just coming into the market.  His godmother bought him his first one.  Since then, we have accumulated close to 3 large laundry baskets heaped full of them! 

He has them everywhere.  On his dresser, in his headboard, and his current favorites are in basket at the bottom of his closet.  He knows exactly which ones he has in stock, and is constantly searching grocery store displays, department stores, and the internet for new additions to his collection.

Not one of them are valuable.  When he gets one he immediately cuts off the heart shaped tag and the smaller tag that is sewn into a side seam.  He never forgets their names, and tags just get in the way.

I've taught him to save links on his computer when he finds a new one he would like.  Just last month I looked through his list to buy him some birthday gifts.  He asked for Rex the dinosaur, Stinger the scorpion, and Spinner the spider.

I HATE SPIDERS!

I have an uncontrollable fear of any form of spiders.  Plastic, real, big, small- it does not matter.  If anything ever happens to my husband, I will need to fill the 'spider killer' opening before I plan the funeral.  If I see that the movie Arachnophobia is going to be showing- I write the time and channel down on a note and tape it to the remote.

Andy had Spinner the spider many years ago.  To most- it is this 5 inch soft, innocent little bean bag with 8 legs and gold and black stripes.  To me, it was something that jumped out of no where while I was cleaning his room and picking up dirty laundry.  I jumped every single time and fled like the chicken that I am. 

A friend gladly accepted the donation to her first grade classroom full of brave little 6 year olds a few years ago.  I was glad to be rid of him, and I never told Andy.  Oh sure, he looked and looked, but eventually he gave up the search.

So when he asked for the dinosaur, scorpion and spider for his birthday this year- I started looking online.  Do you know that when you type specific names of beanie babies, the first 12 hits are usually actual images of the beanie?  Well I jumped in my chair every time some one inch photo popped up on my screen (in 12 different angles and distances from the camera).

I couldn't do it.  I decided to tell Andy that is wasn't for sale anymore.  I LIED!

When he opened his gifts the other night, he was thrilled with his T-rex and scorpion.  He said "To bad they don't sell Spinner any more.  Oh well."  And off to his room he went.

20 minutes later he calls down from the top of the stairs-

"Hey Mom!  Guess What!  I found Webster the spider!"

"?!?!?!?!?"

I haven't seen that black beanie baby tarantula in years!  It must have been in the basement baskets. 

I need to go in that room someday soon.  I am terrified!!!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment