Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Night I Let Him Live

Back in 2005 we flew down to Florida to witness my youngest sister-in-law get married to a wonderful man.  Flying a family of 5 (2 with disabilities) is never easy. Throw in weather, mechanical failures, and medication limits- and one never knows what to expect.  Listening to your husband when he tells you to leave your cell phone at home (because we didn't have nationwide coverage) is JUST PLAIN STUPID!

John, I and the kids were all flying out together at 7:30am that morning.  John's parents were leaving from the same airport around 10:00am the same day.  Fog was our first obstacle.  We were delayed long enough to greet Grandma and Grandpa at the airport and watch their plane take off.  Around 10:30 we were informed that our plane had mechanical trouble so we were all going to be bused 25 miles north to another airport.

Fine.

Now running 4 hours late, we arrive at the new airport and are told we have to split up on 2 different flights!  Okay.  John took our youngest (Mike) because he has the shortest attention span, and they would take the longer flight with one hop in Atlanta.  I took the oldest and middle because I was 'Super Mom', Andy was tougher to handle, and our flight left first.   

Kelsey, Andy and I boarded our plane with promises to meet up in the Panama City Airport.  John and Mike would have to wait about an hour for their flight also through Atlanta.  Our simple flight to Florida turned into a big delay  in Atlanta, a drop in Alabama and a late night cab ride 2 hours to our final destination in the Florida panhandle.

As the 3 of us sat in Atlanta, I was monitoring the flight boards.  I had just said to Kelsey: "Watch your father and brother come running though here.  Any second now, they are going to come around that corner all in a rush to catch that flight to Florida."

2 seconds later- my prophecy was fulfilled.  John and Mike came flying around the corner.  He took one look at the 3 of us and asked "What are you guys doing here?"

All 3 of us burst into tears. 

He apologized for making us cry but he only had a few seconds to talk.  I said "I don't know what time we were going to arrive, everything was messed up", and he said "Oh babe, I'm sorry.  We have to go...we'll miss our flight.  Call me when you know what is going on." 

And they were gone.

By the time I had a definite arrival time for Florida, it was well after supper time, Andy's meds had worn off, and I had no way to call the family to tell them where the heck we were or when to pick us up.

By the grace of God himself, I had to forethought to jot down John's sister's home phone number and shove it into my purse before we left Wisconsin.  Having never been in jail, I wasn't exactly sure how to make a collect phone call.  All I could remember was a very irritating commercial for 1-800-CALLATT.  A very nice lady helped connect my call to Florida.  I quickly told John's sister that they should expect us at Panama City Beach Airport sometime after 1am. 

Sadly, we didn't discuss the different time zones I had traveled through.  Jen and her groom were not sure if my 1am arrival accounted for those time zones (it did), so they sat at the airport from 11:30 until we arrived at 1:20am.  Keep in mind, they were getting married in less than 24 hours...but they let everyone else go to sleep and they waited for us at the airport.  Bless their hearts!!

Most people had been very kind and understanding of my situation. We took turns watching each other's luggage for food runs and bathroom breaks. We chatted amongst ourselves, and moaned about the delays and inconvenience. Andy was exhausted, out of medication, bored, and not interested in sitting still for more than 2 seconds at a time. I had bought him 2 Beanie Babies, a second coloring book, 2 meals from McDonald's and he was done!

There were about 18 of us trapped together that trip.  All trying to get to the same airport in Florida.  When we arrived in Dothan, Alabama- we still had a 2 hour drive South into Florida.  The van waiting to transport us only held 7 of us.  Some would have to wait another hour for a second vehicle.

Most people told me to put my kids into the first van; they could wait for the second vehicle.  I thanked them all for their patience and kindness.  I think I hugged a few of them.  I put Kelsey and Andy into the center seat of that van, and walked to the back to load our luggage.  When I returned to the side door, a strange man was sitting in MY seat.

That man wouldn't even look at me while my exhausted children tried to slide over to make room for me.  Andy is gently patting the space next to him say "It's okay Mumma, we'll make room for you.  Come on Mumma, we want to go see Aunt Jenny's wedding." 

I was dumbfounded.  He had to know that he was sitting next to my children.  Surely he had heard me apologize to one person or another for my poorly behaved, unmedicated, autistic son!!  What the heck was I going to do?  The van was full!  So I told my kids to get out and that we were going to have to wait another hour for the next vehicle to take us south. 

Suddenly, two sweet, kind, wonderful women that were sitting in the back of that van stood up and said "Take our seats.  Some people have no manners or common decency!"  (I'm still suprised she didn't clip that man in the back of the head as she exited.)

As I hugged them through tears and stifled sobs, they told me "Don't you worry about a thing honey.  We aren't in a rush, and you need to get those little ones to see their Aunt Jenny's wedding."

They told 'seat stealer guy' to move his ass to the back of the van and make room for me to sit with my children.  How that man moved without ever looking up from the ground is beyond me.  I was so shocked by the kindness these 2 women had shown me, I could only wipe my tears of gratitude  as I climbed into the van. 

I think I quietly cried and sniffed all 2 hours of the drive south.  I was tired, wired, stressed and never ever going to travel again!!  Kelsey and Andy snoozed like angels for most of the ride.

The bride and groom greeted us warmly at the airport.  They had been kicked out at midnight because the airport had closed up for the night.  They assured me that they had enjoyed their 2 hour wait outside the building, and not to give it another thought.

When we finally got to the hotel, John and Mike were sound asleep.  I tucked my two kids into bed, and finally joined John in our bedroom.  He was sleepy but managed to ask "How did it go?  What time is it?"

I sat straight up and said "It went horrible.  Everything was messed up.  Kelsey was extremely helpful and tolerant.  Andy was a beast.  His meds wore off before we even left Atlanta!"

And here is where I want credit for not killing John...

He rolls over in bed, opens one eye and says "Well you had all the medications in your purse- which you carried with you the whole time.  Why didn't you just give him another dose?!"

I sat out on the balcony for 2 more hours before the urge to kill was reduced to a level that only made me want to pull out his fingernails with my tweezers.

The rest of the trip was great. Mike and I got a flu bug, but he recovered overnight and never missed a beat.  I spent one whole day hugging the toilet and trying to wash bedding.  I still hear about the wonderful trip everyone took to Shell Island to see the dolphins that day. 

Jen and Alex are still happily married, I'll never stop thanking God for sending me those angels who got out of the van for me, and that collect phone call that lasted 2 minutes- $22.54!!!

We haven't traveled that far as a whole family since.  I'm not certain we ever will.




3 comments:

  1. OMG, Amy! You just summarized why I haven't flown with Alan since he was a baby. We have taken some really long car trips but wow, your story takes the cake. I can't believe that seat stealing guy! I can't get over the way some people cannot be nice for love or money and others bend over backwards to help. Thank God for the good Samaritans and the heck with SSG (hey he probably has a social disorder, right?) As always you managed to tell a disastrous story with great humor. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to you for holding your tongue and your fists and for not losing it completely when you realized you had the solution the wholel time. Oh gosh I'm glad we can't afford to vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it's just excruciating reading that story! Traveling with children under the BEST of circumstances is hard. I don't know how you didn't kill the man in the van! I'm glad it's just a memory now and that you had a great time at the wedding. You deserve a medal!!

    ReplyDelete