Pages

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Surround yourself...

I have this very special group of friends.  All of us share our lives with special need children.  Girls, boys, high functioning, low functioning, verbal, non-verbal, here on Earth, or now up in heaven.  We met while our children attended the same elementary school over 15 years ago.

We don't get together often enough, but when we do- it is epic. Last night 7 of us gathered at a local restaurant for a very fast 3 hours.

No topic is to sensitive.  Tears are allowed. Teasing is encouraged.  No one attempts to garner pity or sympathy.  Laughter is required.  If you couldn't laugh when you arrived, you will hurt from it before you leave.

The most remarkable thing I take from our visit is a sense of peace.  Reliving old stories and sharing new ones restores my soul.  Surrounded by women who have 'been there, done that' reinforces the desire to move forward and not wallow in the struggle.  If they can keep doing it then I can too! 

Social media, smart phones, and the internet have made the world a little smaller.  Last night the conversation turned to stories about an old friend of the 'Mom Club' who moved away 13+ years ago.  After some discussion we remembered her husband's first name, found a few options in the white pages and made a cold call to the most likely number.  All while sitting at a table in a Mexican restaurant.  This morning I 'friended' her on facebook. 

There is a saying that goes: 'Surround yourself with people who make you happy' 

Last night I shared an evening with a group of women who could easily focus on the negatives of life.
Last night I laughed until I cried.
Last night I overshared.
Last night I teased.
Last night I shared an evening with a group of women who make me happy.

I am so blessed to have this group of friends and so many others. 










No comments:

Post a Comment