Pages

Monday, June 3, 2013

Spring Sprang, Changes Coming, and Whatever!

It has been quite a while since I've sat down in front of this little keyboard and pounded out a post.  Things are changing around here and I've just been trying to keep up.

I live in central Wisconsin.  For 9 months of the typical year we are inside, keeping comfy and wondering when it will get warm outside again.  3 months of the year we are spending every daylight hour possible- outside (secretly wishing it would get cooler). Once the thermometer hits 50 degrees- we are pulling weeds, raking lawns, washing cars and windows, and doing anything that gives us an excuse to be outside.

John and I finished the garage project from hell in April.  I will never plaster a wall or ceiling again.  The saddest moment occurred when I realized that the tallest person in our family (my hubby) is on the tallest ladder working on the lowest part of a wall.  At the same time I (the shortest person in the family) am plastering the highest part of the garage on the shortest ladder we own.

Grandma is getting through her chemo.  Some days are better than others, but nothing easy is ever worth fighting for. 

Kelsey bought her first car a few weeks ago.  We put the title in John's name to give Kelsey a discounted rate on her insurance.  Now when she gets a bit sassy John tells her "Don't make me put your name on that car title!!!!"

Andy is finishing his last year of actual high school.  He's moving on to a community work experience program next fall.  He sang a solo with the Varsity choir last week.  Although I missed it because Grandma had a bad chemo reaction, I cried when I listened to the performance on Kelsey's cell phone.  The boy inherited my love of music, and apparently my perfect pitch.

Mike is graduating from high school! This is the child that gave me a white streak up my part amongst my already grey head of hair.  Mike is set to attend classes next fall at the local technical college.  He plans make a career in welding.  I expect to receive garden art and industrial level patio furniture over the next 2 years.  I'm okay with that, but what I really want is for Mike to make his bed 1 day a month without me asking. 

Here's funny story of the week.....

Mike had to leave early for a band concert.  He took the Nissan at my suggestion.

He didn't see the van parked on the other side of the driveway.

When a Nissan rolls into the side of a van- it sounds like a very large aluminum can getting crushed very slowly.

John and I raced outside to find the vehicles jammed into each other.  Mike is climbing out of the driver's seat looking petrified.

John:  "What the hell Mike!"

Mike: "I was looking back the whole time; I didn't know the van was there!"

Me:  "Really?  You want to go on record saying you were looking back the whole time?!"

Mike:  "Oh great!!!  I suppose you're going to hold this over my head for years to come!"

Me:  "Pretty safe assumption there buddy!"

John:  "He took off the Nissan mirror, and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get the cars apart!!"

John did manage to separate the vehicles after throwing it between reverse and drive 4 separate times while turning the wheel hard left and hard right.  (He looked like a NASCAR driver desperately trying to avoid a crash at 2 mph.)

I tell Mike to get into the van and go to his concert.  John is pacing the garage like a caged lion. 

Mike:  "It isn't my fault!  Mom told me to take the van!!"

John turns red and looks like he's going to have a stroke.  I press John toward the back door.

Me:  "Seriously Mike, would you just be quiet?  There is no one else you can possibly blame, and in the future, my advice would to start this kind of moment out with 'I'm really sorry.'  Now go to your concert."

Mike manages to regain his composure and takes off for his concert.  John comes out and starts to access the damage to his only new vehicle ever (although we've owned it for 5 years now).

John:  "I can't believe his actually did this!!!"

I look him in the eye and immediately start laughing.  By the grace of God himself- I have narrowly avoided doing this very thing to this very vehicle at least 3 different times!  Once I almost hit Kelsey's boyfriend's brand new truck.  When I saw what Mike had done my first thought was "Oh thank God it wasn't me!"

After a few hours John's stroke symptoms had lessened to a mild headache.  The two of them had talked it through and moved forward.  When I sent Kelsey a text photo of what Mike had done to the car she replied:

Kelsey: "Whoa, he beat me. I only did damage to the Nissan once."

Me:  "Actually you damaged the same vehicle 3 different times.  You once managed to hit a large 'road closed' sign while your passenger warned you!"

Kelsey:  "I only damaged the Nissan that one time!"

Me: "Kelsey, I have been chewed out vicariously 3 different times about 3 different things you did to the Nissan.  If I get chewed out, it counts!"

Kelsey:  "Whatever!"

Probably best she has her own car now. 


3 comments:

  1. Your family sounds like our kind of people! So nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! No dull moments at your house lately, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great! Welcome back, I love how mom still gets blamed when she wasn't even in the car!

    ReplyDelete